Friday 9 February 2024

This week in research #9

It's been a hectic week this week, so I'm a bit behind and I don't have as much to share as usual. Nevertheless, here's what caught my eye in research over the past week:

  • Fiva and King (with ungated earlier version here) look at whether there are 'child penalties' for women in politics using data from Norway, and find women are less likely than men to secure elected office after their first child is born, and mothers receive less favourable rankings on party lists relative to comparable fathers
  • Madsen, Robertson, and Ye (open access) find that outbreaks of plague had statistically significant, but relatively modest, impact on local variations in wheat prices between the 14th and 17th Centuries C.E.

Finally, you can see me presenting next week at the New Zealand Economics Forum. I understand that the in-person event has sold out, but you can watch the livestream using this link. I'm part of a panel discussing social investment, alongside Maria English (ImpactLab) and Merepeka Raukawa-Tait (Whānau Ora). It's a little beyond my direct research experience, and so I've spent a lot of time preparing. I'm looking forward to it!

There's a stellar line-up of speakers (in keynotes and sessions) in the other sessions at the Forum as well. So, if you're at all interested in economics in New Zealand, you should definitely tune in for both days of this event. The theme for the Forum is 'A Briefing to the Incoming Government'. I hope that they're listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment