Friday 8 December 2023

This week in research

In today's post, I thought that I would try something new. I read a lot of research, but there is far more published research than I have time to read. Part of the reason for this blog is for me to keep track of interesting research that I've read and might like to find later. However, if I don't read the research, I won't blog about it and then can't find it easily.

So, I'm going to start blogging each week (hopefully) a quick take on some of the research that caught my eye that week. Some of the research I will read and blog about in detail at a later time. Others will simply fall to the bottom of my virtual 'to-be-read' pile and eventually be deleted unread.

I must provide a quick disclaimer first: These posts are just research that caught my eye this week, drawn mostly from the emailed tables of contents I am subscribed to. Regular readers of this blog will know that my interest is reasonably eclectic, but mostly limited to papers in economics journals. Anyway, I hope that you will find it interesting.

In this week's list:

  • Sodini et al. use a neat natural experiment to identify the causal impacts of home ownership in Sweden (ungated earlier version here)
  • Liu and Netzer use survey response times to overcome the problems of ordinal data on subjective wellbeing (or happiness), which I've blogged about before here and here (ungated earlier version here)
  • Mo, Wu, and Yuan look at the effect of air pollution on performance in eSports
  • On a similar note, Gao, Zhang, and Nan look at the effect of air pollution on migration in China
  • Bansak, Dziadula, and Zavodny look at the value of a 'green card' in the marriage market for Chinese migrants to the US (ungated earlier version here)
  • Veenhoven and Kegel use 75 years of happiness data to answer the question: "Is life really getting worse?"
  • Girardi et al. use data from intermediate microeconomics students to look at whether studying economics makes you selfish (open access)
  • Tallgauer and Schank present a conceptual framework that they claim will redefine undergraduate economics education for the Anthropocene

No comments:

Post a Comment